PETERSBURG – You’re invited to Artoberfest at the Appomattox Iron Works in the Old Town. The festival is part of artoberVA, a month-long celebration of arts and culture presented by CultureWorks.
Artoberfest features live local music, a variety of performances, live works by visual artists, arts activities for children, an art auction, mural unveiling and much more.
Stage performances include vocal ensemble and chamber orchestra Dragon Scales from Appomattox Regional Governor School, spoken word artists First Friday Freedom presented by K. Moss & Associates, music by U&I Plus Latin Band , My Son the Doctor, Dr. Weldon Hill & Friends and a DJ set by Omar Faison of Southern Housepitality.
Local artists Itzel Ortiz, Hue Lightbody, Monica Padilla, David Bartlett, Mark Pehanich, Dolly Holmes, Aimee Jewels, Barry Roebuck, Brent Fagg, Chase Beasley, Dathan Meme and Randus Ayres will be working live on 4×8 pieces throughout the daytime. Their finished painted panels will be available for auction starting at 7 p.m. Proceeds directly support artists and a new three-story mural by Navid Rahman in Old Town Petersburg.
There will be screen printing of t-shirts by Inkbug on site along with shirts for sale featuring Navid Rahman’s new wall design “Happy Birthday, Petersburg”. Artist Lisa Mistry will also unveil her new mural at the Appomattox Iron Works.
Arts, crafts and food vendors will be present. Local craft beer as well as standard domestic cans will be available for purchase, along with multiple food options.
Performing arts programming:
- Dragon Scales and chamber orchestra [Choral/Orchestral/Tri-Cities Region] 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.
- First Friday Freedom [Spoken Word/Hopewell] 3 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- U&I Plus Latin Band [Latin/Petersburg/Tri-Cities Region] 4 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- my son the doctor [Balkan Mediterranean/University of Richmond] 5 p.m. – 6:15 p.m.
- Dr. Weldon Hill and his friends [Jazz/VSU/Petersburg] 6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- DJ Omar Faison [Afro-House/VSU/Petersburg] 8 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Artoberfest takes place Saturday, October 22 from 2-9 p.m. at 30 W. Old Street. The free-entry event presented by Main Street Petersburg, Old Towne Builders and CultureWorks aims to showcase the regional arts and culture scene and guarantees a fun experience for the whole family. Donations are encouraged for this community event.
For more information or if you are interested in becoming a supplier, contact Daniel Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hopewell arts festival: Gallery, videoParents Radiate, Students Perform at Lamb Arts Fest: Messy Fingers + Creativity = Lots of Fun
Hopewell loses another business: Ready whyFan of Guncotton Coffee? Better to visit while you still can
– Kristi K. Higgins, aka The Social Butterfly columnist, is the food news and Q&A reporter at The Progress-Index. Do you have a current tip on local trends or businesses? Contact Kristi (her, her) at email@example.com, follow @KHiggins_PI on Twitter @socialbutterflykristi on Instagram.
Your support is vital for local journalism. Please register.